The pixlr editor (http://pixlr.com/editor/) is an online image editor which is free and allows you to use transparency for png files. There are also a host of paid image editors available as well.
I am using a .png file for my character or prop, but the background around my character isn’t transparent. How do I make the white background transparent?
Several software packages can do this, but we will use pixlr (http://pixlr.com/editor/) in this example, because if is very simple and free.
Here are the steps:
- Go to http://pixlr.com/editor
- Select “Open Image from Computer” option.
- Select the .png file you want to change and open it in the editor
- On the right hand side you will see a box called “Layers”. Inside it is a little lock icon. Click on it to unlock it.
- Select the “wand tool” in the left hand side panel.
- Click the “wand tool” on the white portion of your graphic that you want to be transparent. When you do this, the white area around your graphic should become selected.
- Press the “delete” key on your keyboard, and the white area should be removed from your graphic.
- Select “file” and then “save” in the menu structure, and name your new file.
- Upload your newly modified .png file to TaleSpring.com, and start using it!
You can find voice talent at Voices.com.
Do I lose any rights to my content when I publish with TaleSpring? What rights does TaleSpring get when I publish using the TaleSpring platform?
You keep all rights to your original content. TaleSpring receives the rights to the resulting book app (e.g. the computer code/electronic files, along with the sales, marketing and distribution rights we need to submit that code/those electronic files to be sold in digital marketplaces such as the Apple App Store, Google Play, Chrome Store, Amazon Marketplace, and to promote your book app on our site and in our marketing/promotional materials, etc.). You retain the right to publish your book with a print publisher, as an ebook, as an ibook, or to make a movie of your book, etc.
TaleSpring's publishing platform enables you to quickly and cost effectively:
- Develop a high quality, interactive, animated book app with little or no technical knowledge
- Create social media and SEO-friendly landing pages for your app
- Test your app before you publish
- Publish to over 98% of mobile devices running iOS 7+ and Android API 19+
TaleSpring provides the following benefits:
- Free third party AppAnnie account to track sales of your app in the App Store and Google Play
- Free compatibility updates to ensure your app remains up to date with the latest iOS/Android releases
- Free access to promo codes for your app (available upon request)
- Free technical support during app development
- Free user account; you don't pay unless you decide publish
Our Business Philosophy:
We think of authors as entrepreneurs, and ourselves as investors.
We work hard to minimize the amount of cost required to publish your book app by providing you with an online environment and tools for creating world-class book apps for free, and publish your book app in exchange for a royalty share plus a minimal fee. By doing this, we share the risk that your app will be successful. If it is, we only make money if you make money. If your app is not successful, the up front cost to you is minimal, especially when compared to the amount you would have spent hiring a mobile developer to create an app to your specifications.
Structuring our business this way provides you with some additional important benefits:
- As the author, you are always in the drivers seat.
- We share a real, vested interest in the success of your book app.
- We are on the same team working towards the same goal – helping your book app become a success.
You keep all rights to your original content, including the copyright. For specifics on how copyright law works, you may wish to consult with a copyright attorney.
If you own the rights to the book, the answer is yes! If you signed your rights over to a publisher, then the answer is no.
If you own all rights to the content, the answer is yes! The digital rights that you give to us so we can sell the book app on the App Store/Google Play do not hamper your right or ability to publish in hard copy.
Apart from providing marketing tools to you and promoting your book app on TaleSpring related websites, TaleSpring does not actively market or sell book apps. We provide tools for authors to market their book apps, but it is up to individual authors to use them.
The TaleSpring.com account holder determines the price. We are happy to change the price upon request, but it may take a day or two for the price change to take place. From time to time, TaleSpring may approach authors to encourage them to participate in sales events, etc, but the final decision is ultimately made by the account holder.